$100 Hamburger SOUTH CENTRAL (TX,OK,AR,LA)

A place to list good $100 Hamburger locations as well as discussion on any interesting place you can fly your 170.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ryan602

$100 Hamburger SOUTH CENTRAL (TX,OK,AR,LA)

Post by ryan602 »

Where are the best places to fly out for a meal? I am in North Central Texas and have heard of McGhee's Catfish on the Red River on the Oklahma side I believe. Haven't tried it out yet.

Any others in the neighborhood?

Thanks,
Ryan
BenWlson

Post by BenWlson »

Hicks (T67) has a nice diner on the airport.

Ft Worth Spinks (FWS) has a couple restaraunts in short walking distance.

Clark (SEP) has a golf cart you can take to a great BBQ place just down the block.

Kezer (61TE) has a great little restaraunt right next door.

Lake Murray (1F1) has a restaraunt nearby that will come pick you up.

Lancaster (LNC) has a cafe on the airport.

Last thing I heard was that McGegee Catfish (T40) was closed by NOTAM after an accident. Their runway was a little dangero.. er.. let's say, "sporty".

I'm always looking for other places. Let me know if you find more!
ryan602

$100 Hamburger

Post by ryan602 »

Thanks Ben, just what I was looking for. I hadn't heard about McGhee's, figures though in these days and times we live in, I guess. Lowake used to have a runway next to their steak house. GREAT steak, but someone had a few too many(or one) and got killed, is the story I heard, no more runway!

We will keep looking and let you know what we find. I have thought about building an airport cafe, seems like there would be a demand for one. Let me know what you guys think.

Ryan
4583C

Post by 4583C »

One of my favorites is Hard 8 in Stephenville (KSEP). Walking distance of the airport but they usually leave a golf cart @ the airport for customers. Fantastic BBQ, sold by the pound. We had a 170 fly-in there a couple of years ago and I'm thinking it's about time for another one.
url for Hard 8 http://www.hardeightbbq.com/

I have heard of a place on the south side of Lake Texoma but don't know the name or location.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Have you heard of the Outrigger Restaurant ( 361-972-1479 ) at Palacios (PSX)? (Down on the coast between Galveston and Corpus.) They pick you up and drop you off, and it's the cheapest fuel in the area.

Outrigger was the Fly-Out destination during this year's convention and all we had was accolades and praise for the good food and friendly service.

Wayne and Cheryl Dodd, email: outrigger@wildblue.net

Visit their website @

http://www.outriggerrestaurant.com/
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Laguna Park on the south side of Lake Whitney (SAT Sectional and inside the 30nm TFR when the President is at the ranch in Crawford, be sure and check before you go!). It is a 2000' grass strip in walking distance to a couple of cafes on the highway to the south. Joe Harris told me about that one and I took him to lunch there in March. Good memories of that day.

Sonora, TX has a great Steak House at the end of the runway.

Of course, Cooper's Bar-B-Q at Llano, ask Larry to use the courtesy car to go into town. Cheap gas also.

Chinese food at the terminal at San Angelo.

D. W. Hooks in Houston has a cafe on the field.
Last edited by hilltop170 on Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
4583C

Post by 4583C »

A big Amen to what George said about "The Outrigger" Great food and great hospitality! I am only slightly less of a shrimp fan than Forrest Gump's friend Bubba and will say that was the best fried shrimp I have ever had. Actually all the food during this years convention was outstanding. I have thought for better than a year that George was gaining weight and simply blamed it on too much St. Pauli Girl, however I think it may be due to all the research he did on the menu for this years convention. :lol:
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

The Outrigger had the BEST shrimp I ate while at the Galveston conventiion by far.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

Gaston's Resort (3M0) is a really neat place in Northwestern Arkansas. That should be in your range from Texas. Nice grass strip, cabins, fishing and a restaurant overlooking the White River.
Curtis
1950 A model 1256D
ryan602

Post by ryan602 »

Cool! Keep them coming! There should be a short piece in the Flypaper for this sort of thing.

Thanks again,
Ryan
170C

$100 + Hamburger's

Post by 170C »

McGehee's Catfish is about the best all around catfish I have eaten. Been going there for 24 years and its always good! Also good cheezeburgers there.

Smoke House just West of Gainesville, TX airport

Dairy Queen across highway from Graham, TX airport.

Truck stop at bottom of hill @ Parker County Apt.

Understand there is a good Mexican food rest within walking distance (opposite direction from Hard 8 BBQ) at Stephenville, TX.

Mary's in Granbury, TX (need to borrow a car)

Colonial Rest on East side of N Main at Meacham Field, Fort Worth, TX

Lancaster, TX apt has a cafe that is pretty good for breakfast & lunch.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Don't forget the 1950s cafe on the field at Brenham.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
dacker

Post by dacker »

The Outrigger is definitely a good one! Coopers in Llano has great "by the pound bar-b-que", and the courtesy cars that they keep at the airport have made the trip so many times to the restaurant that they can drive themselves! I have my airplane based at Brenham so naturally I hardly ever eat there, but it is good. Very crowded on the weekends and you have to be wary of a lot of pilots making non-standard entries into the pattern on the weekends (I have had so many close calls there that I hardly ever fly during the weekend lunch rush!).

I haven't tried some of these others destinations but as soon as the weather dries up a little (and it surely will) I think that I will make a few trips.

David
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Ok OK enough already with all the great places to fly and eat in or from Texas. Mr. Moderator this thread should be renamed $100 Hamburger IN TEXAS. :lol:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Curtis Brown wrote:Gaston's Resort (3M0) is a really neat place in Northwestern Arkansas. That should be in your range from Texas. Nice grass strip, cabins, fishing and a restaurant overlooking the White River.
Here's one from my archives. It's during a bomb drop run at a 170 fly-in at Gaston's in October of 1982. All those airplanes (on both sides of the runway!) are fly-in participants. The vast majority are 170's. 8)

Miles