How to view the forum - some tips to make it easier

A place for consolidated forum rules, instructions, announcements and information.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Forum rules
This area is read-only. Only Administrators and Moderators can post here. Please use a private message to the Moderators for questions or comments.
Bruce Fenstermacher

How to view the forum - some tips to make it easier

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

As of April 15 2015 here are the forum statistics.
Screen Shot 2015-04-01 at 8.43.03 PM.png
Over 100000 posts in 9025 threads. Overwhelming for a new user and even for a veteran if they don't know how to manage their visit. Here are some pointers how to make it manageable and more enjoyable.

Below is the main directory you see when you log in unless you do something special to log in. Where do you start.
Screen Shot 2015-04-01 at 8.35.39 PM.png
Starting with the left most red arrow which points to a filter that will show only threads with unanswered posts. I've been here from the beginning and I haven't answered all the posts and I have no intention to ever do so. I have no idea what good this filter could do anyone with our type of forum. However this software is used for other types of forums and a forum where a moderator might answer every post is where this might be used.

If like me you have read every single post since day one you might choose to click on the link highlighted by the second arrow from the left. This filter will show only those threads with posts you have not read. This could work for me as only the new posts I have not read would show up. But for most of you this choice is probably not a good one. You will be overwhelmed by the amount of posts you haven't read.

Following the 3rd arrow from the left you will see a filter that will show only new posts since your last visit. This is the filter I use to view the forum almost every time I visit. In fact my bookmarks for the site are set to invoke this filter. This works for me because every time I visit I view all the new posts without fail. So next time I visit and use the filter I only see threads with brand new posts since the last time I visited.

And last the arrow farthest to the right points to a filter that will only show those threads which are active. In other words you won't see those threads we haven't visited in some time. This could be a viable way to visit the forum and join in on what we are currently discussing.

So there you are 4 filters that might help your use of the forum be more enjoyable and productive.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com